How to stay healthy during a monsoon pregnancy?
One of the most awaited seasons to get relief from the summer heat, monsoon is loved by all. But for women who are pregnant during the summer season, monsoon doesn’t bring much relief. However, you can make the best of monsoon by taking some special care and making some changes in your lifestyle.
Here’s what you can adopt to make your monsoon pregnancy a lovely one:
- Clothes: As the level of humidity increases during monsoon, you will sweat more than summer. Moreover, pregnancy leads to fluctuation in body temperature and you may often feel your temperature to be high. So, to stay comfortable, wear cotton clothes that are a size bigger. Cotton will absorb the sweat easily and keep you dry.
- Personal Hygiene: Hygiene is one of the most important factors to remain free from infectious diseases. As monsoon brings rain and the water gets dirty due to sewage, mud etc., it may lead to variety of infections. So, don’t go outside barefoot during pregnancy. Stay indoors as much as possible and if you have to go out, make sure to wash your hands and feet with mild disinfectant soap immediately after returning home.
Take bath with Neem water at least once every day during your monsoon pregnancy. It will help in preventing various skin problems. And whenever you sweat, wipe your face, hands and the back of your neck with a wet cloth. It will freshen you instantly.
- Keep your Home Clean: If you are not working, then you have to pass most of your time at home during pregnancy. So, it becomes very necessary to keep your home free from infection. Use good quality mild disinfectants to clean the floors and bathroom. You can even burn dried Neem leaves to keep away flies and mosquitoes.
- Keep Hydrated: During pregnancy, it is very necessary to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water and make sure to have filtered water only. Unfiltered water carries lots of germs causing varied health problems.
- Eat Healthy Food: Stay away from street foods during monsoon. In fact, street food is not at all good for pregnant women as it may carry different types of germs. As your baby in the womb will receive nutrients from the food you eat, have a healthy and balanced diet.
Tips for pregnant women during monsoon:
- Carry an umbrella or a raincoat whenever you step out of your house.
- Wear comfortable footwear which is not slippery.
- Wash fruits and vegetables properly before eating or cooking.
- Stay away from fish and prawns during the rainy season; as this is the time they breed, and you may suffer from stomach infections.
- Don’t go near open wires or any electrical appliances which may harm you.
- Inform your family members if you are going out.