Extremely refreshing with a slight sweet taste, coconut water helps you to keep hydrated. Rich in electrolytes and essential nutrients like potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, vitamin C and certain B vitamins, coconut water helps in giving you instant relief from fatigue and tiredness by reviving the salts lost by your body.
Coconut water is produced naturally in the fruit and contains 94% water and very little fat. It should not be confused with coconut milk, which is made by adding water to grated coconut meal. Coconut milk contains about 50% water and is very high in coconut fat.
Is it safe to drink coconut water during pregnancy?
Coconut water helps a pregnant woman to get refreshed as she often suffers from dehydration and exhaustion. These occur due to rapid physical changes, increased fluid requirement and the additional needs of the developing baby in the womb.
As a healthy oral rehydrating fluid, it is safe for pregnant women. It is recommended that it be had in moderation so that you gain all the nutritional benefits. Fresh and tender coconut water could be the perfect alternative to sodas or caffeinated fluids. Even though drinking coconut water is safe during pregnancy, consulting your doctor/nutritionist is always advisable.
Benefits of coconut water during pregnancy
- Keeps you energised: Rich in electrolytic content, coconut water helps refuel your body with essential nutrients keeping you energised when you feel exhausted or suffer from diarrhoea.
- Boosts immunity: The presence of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants strengthens the immunity of the Mom-to-be. So, consuming coconut water during pregnancy can help both mother and baby be healthy.
- Prevents constipation and heartburn: As digestive problems are common during pregnancy, consuming coconut water helps in preventing acidity, maintaining pH levels and relieves nausea. It also helps in soothing and preventing heartburn during pregnancy.
- Maintains blood sugar level: Coconut water contains sugars which can help raise your blood sugar level when you’re hypoglycemic, and reenergise you. It is a natural isotonic fluid.
- Prevents urinary tract infection: It has been found that consumption of tender coconut water helps during urinary tract infection which occurs in most pregnant women.
Though there are numerous health benefits of coconut water during pregnancy, it doesn’t act as a medicinal cure for severe and chronic diseases. Take your doctor’s/nutritionist advice about the quantity of water to be consumed.