Back pain is one of the common problems that occur during pregnancy. Most pregnant women suffer from back pain mainly due to weight gain. But this doesn’t mean you have to suffer throughout the pregnancy. Besides consulting your doctor, there are several ways (read further below) you can overcome back pain during pregnancy.
Factors causing back pain during pregnancy:
- Weight gain: Gaining weight during pregnancy is quite a normal phenomenon. But some women tend to gain more weight than required. The extra weight puts a load on your spine resulting in lower backache and other complications. Moreover, the weight of the developing baby and the uterus puts pressure on the nerves and blood vessels of the pelvis and back.
- Hormonal changes: This is another factor causing back pain in pregnant women. Due to the hormone called Relaxin, the ligaments in the pelvic area tend to relax and the joints loosen. It also loosens the ligaments supporting the spine that causes instability causing back pain.
- Changes in posture: As you gain weight during pregnancy, the centre of gravity also changes. So, in order to be comfortable, you change your sitting postures, the way you walk etc. These changes in posture give rise to back pain.
- Muscle separation: As time passes, the uterus starts expanding more and more. In the process, the two parallel stretches of muscle between the rib cage and pubic bone get separated along the centre seam. This process worsens backache if you are already suffering from it.
- Emotional stress: During pregnancy, emotional stress causes tension in the back muscles which may result in back pain.
Back pain during pregnancy can lead to following:
- Difficulty in getting up from a sitting posture
- You may find it difficult to change positions on the bed
- Uneasiness while walking for a longer period of time
- Dressing and undressing may become a problem
- Difficulty while taking a bath
- Doing work with back pain becomes very painful
How to ease back pain during pregnancy?
Following these points can help you get rid of your back pain to a great extent:
- Exercise: Exercising is one of the best ways to ease backache in pregnant women. Walking, cycling on stationary cycle and swimming are some of the safe exercises which you can do while pregnant. Exercising for at least 30 minutes five times a week will not only help you strengthen your body muscles but also increase your flexibility. Staying active by doing exercises and light work is the key to reducing back pain during pregnancy.
- Posture: Improving your posture helps in getting relief from backache. You should avoid staying in the same posture for a long period of time. While sitting you can use a cushion at the back and rest your feet on a stool. Using maternity pillows while sleeping also help to reduce backache.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture helps you to get rid of back pain. But it is very necessary to get it done by experienced professionals.
- Heat and cold: To get relief from pain, you may apply cold packs or hot water bag according to your convenience. Even a warm bath can be helpful to reduce back pain.