Being pregnant does not mean that it is time for you to rest and relax throughout this period. While you do need rest and relaxation, you have to keep yourself active during pregnancy. Exercising is one of the best ways to keep healthy and fit.
Exercising not only helps in improving your strength and muscle tone but also to adapt to the changes that occur due to pregnancy. You can join classes or consult your doctor regarding the same. In case of any pregnancy related complications, it is better not to do exercises.
Benefits of exercising:
- It will provide you strength and energy to keep yourself active
- As it is normal to gain weight in pregnancy, exercising will help you carry this weight
- It will help you during labour and childbirth, as it prepares you for the physical challenges associated with them
- It will allow you to have proper sleep
- It will help to deal with mood swings which is very common in pregnant women
- It will help you to get back in shape after childbirth
Some exercises you can do during pregnancy:
- Walking: Brisk walking is one of the best ways to remain fit and healthy during pregnancy. This is one of the safe cardio-vascular workouts possible without putting stress on your ankles and knees. If you can walk 30 minutes daily, five times a week, it is perfectly good for your health.
- Swimming: One of the best exercises with little risk of injury, swimming is safe during pregnancy. Swimming lets your legs, arms, heart and lungs to work out. Moreover, it helps reduce swollen feet and backaches. But if you don’t know swimming, it is not the best time to start this exercise.
- Yoga: Yoga during pregnancy helps you improve your posture, flexibility, muscle tone, blood circulation and to relax. It may help you in maintaining blood pressure, as well. You can even learn methods to stay calm and relaxed during labour.
- Aerobics: Low impact aerobics can be done by pregnant women. It is better to join classes if you are planning to do aerobics during pregnancy. It will help you to strengthen your muscle tone as well as your heart and lungs.
- Cycling: Cycling on stationary cycle is absolutely safe during pregnancy. This is the best way to strengthen your heart without putting much strain on your knees. Stationary cycles also reduce the risk of falling down.
Tips to follow while exercising:
- Drink plenty of fluids and remain hydrated while exercising
- Don’ t indulge in exercises that involve lying flat on the back or on the stomach
- Avoid exercises that include heavy weights and straining
- Don’t exercise to the point of exhaustion
- Have healthy meals